Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Masala Dahl






My friend Mahendra Motibhai - Patel from Fiji gave me some masala powder. The package is great and the spice mixture smells highly aromatic and fresh. I love Indian food, I tried to make up a few recipes with the Motibhai masala, and I was particularly pleased with this one.



Yes, dahl is usually a soup and the lentils are small, but I had some green organic lentils which I wanted to use, and I was looking for a thicker consistency.
I sautéed for 30 seconds half tsp of turmeric and half tsp of cumin seeds with a little rice bran oil. Then I added a finely chopped onion and one tbsp of masala powder. Then the lentils, which had been rinsed, and then soaked for 30 minutes. I covered with water and added a big hot whole chili. After 30 minutes I added a little salt to taste and, just because I felt like it, a tbsp of butter. It was perfect, warm, fragrant, and mildly hot.
Serve with basmati rice or naan bread for a main course.

Photos and Recipes by Alessandra Zecchini ©

4 comments:

  1. I love lentils and I love curry&Co.
    so I love your soup!!


    CiaoCiao
    Barbaraxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Dal!! Do you have "The Indian Slow Cooker" book by Anupy Singla?? It is nearly ALL vegan and SO easy!! You just throw the dried beans, veggies, whatever, in the crockpot and push a button!!
    AND she is coming out with an ALL vegan Indian Food book!! Yeah!!! I blogged about many of the recipes from her current book. Usually I eat raw, but she made it TOO easy to eat cooked, healthy food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear friends, Brahmakumaris are vegetarian... and emphasize that the purer ones diet, the more the emotions remain in a state of equilibrium, bringing greater clarity to the mind and intellect. There is Brahmakumaris meditation...that relaxes the mind...nurtures a healthy balance between inner and outer worlds... recharge... rejuvenate the inner-self... From Gita

    ReplyDelete