Saturday, February 18, 2012

Salad Sushi rolls and Ume topped Onigiri







Salad Sushi Rolls

Wash the sushi rice (or Japanese rice) several times in cold water, until the water runs clear, and then cook it by absorption. The doses are about 1 and 3/4 (three quarters) cups of sushi rice for 2 cups of water, but that depends on the type of pot. You need a pot with a good lid, or you will loose too much steam. I kind of regulate myself by ear now, since I know my pots and pans. Bring the pot to boiling point, lower the heat and simmer until all the water has been absorbed. Once the rice is ready pour it into a bowl and stir it with a wooden spatula, cooling it with a fan if you can. I then add some ready made sushi vinegar, about 2 tablespoons, but this is my personal taste. If I don't have sushi vinegar I use 2 tbsp of rice vinegar, a little sugar and a little salt (to taste, and I don't like to use too much sugar or salt!). Roll the rice with nori seaweed and the filling of your choice: I used carrots, takuan (Japanese pickled daikon) and rocket salad.




Clockwise from top left: Salad sushi with pickled ginger, edamame beans, plates for lunch, plum sake to drink and mandarins for dessert




 Onigiri


To make the rice balls cook some Japanese (or sushi) rice as explained above but do not dress with rice vinegar, leave it plain. Start working it when it is still warm: wet your hands with water, and rub them with just a little salt, then shape the balls with your palms, sticking a whole ume (Japanese pickled plum) in the middle while you are working. This time I didn't put the ume inside but on top, for visual effect, and added a violet (edible) for decoration.






















Photos and Recipes by Alessandra Zecchini ©



With this recipe I take part in the contest VegetariaMo (Ricette Vegan) hosted by


2 comments:

  1. These look 100% perfect! They put my sloppy messes to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I actually leaving a comment? If so, these are gorgeous rolls.

    ReplyDelete