Saturday, April 16, 2011

Spicy Lentils





Wash 250 g of small brown lentils and soak for 2 hours.

Toast one tablespoon of coriander seeds in a pan, then grind with mortar and pestle.

Sliced one small onion and sizzle it with two tablespoons of vegetable oil. When the onion is translucent add the coriander seeds, 1 tsp of ground ginger, 1 of curry powder, a pinch of smoked paprika, a pinch of hot chilli and a pinch of salt (to taste).

Stir and sizzle for a minute then add the brown lentils (drained), 1 carrot, sliced, and a cup of water. Cook the lentils slowly, adding more water as soon as they dry out, and stirring often.

Cook the lentils for over one hour; the longer you cook them the better they will taste!

Great both with rice and with bread.



Photos and Recipes by Alessandra Zecchini ©





3 comments:

  1. I love lentils, so I bet I'll love this. On my list to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, this sounds great. It reminds me of the Ethiopian spicy lentils.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love spicy lentils (my version on my site). The carrot addition is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete