Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Spelt Spaghetti with Morchella Deliciosa Mushrooms






The precious mushroom is this one. I don't remember when was the last time I ate one, and fresh! Possibly 20 years???? In NZ I can find some super expensive dried ones from the French deli shops, but I never buy them. I prefer dried porcini mushrooms. And then, last Spring, our friend Martina invited us to her place in the mountains, in the Adamello Natural Park.






I like the sea, the lakes, the countryside, the cities and the hills, but most of all I love the mountains. At heart I will always remain a mountain person, and for me no food beats the mountain food, especially if you forage it!



Well, foraging with a little bit of cheating this time! These were in Martina's garden, growing naturally under some trees. She left them there for us to find....


Ohhhh, I love mushrooms, and the Spugnola (the Italian name for morchella) is one of the best!!! Martina just cleaned them and cut them and cooked them in a pan with a little extra virgin olive oil, a little salt, and a little parsley.


No garlic, we didn't have any, but sometimes it is better to feel the pure taste of the morchella!



She served it with spelt spaghetti. Only those few mushrooms gave enough flavour to 5 plates of pasta, and what a flavour!!! I am still thinking about it!!!



And to wash it all down, a nice Wine from Franciacorta. What a great day in the mountains, thank you Martina!

Recipe by Martina, Photos by Alessandra Zecchini ©



4 comments:

  1. How absolutely beautiful! I am very jealous of your visit to the mountains and your fresh mushrooms. Aww, the cute little cow is so adorable! Look at those ears! <3

    Good question - I don't know why there are more US gluten-free/vegan blogs. Maybe we eat way too much wheat in the US and it ends up working against us! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! I wish I knew more about mushrooms and could actually go mushroom picking. Your photos are magical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place!
    I've never seen mushrooms like that...how cool looking! I'm with Jenny, I wish I knew more about shrooms, so I could go hunt them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful mushroom! Never seen anything like it before!

    ReplyDelete