Sunday, April 3, 2011

Nam Prik Thai dip





This is my adaptation of the Thai dip Nam Prik, (there are many versions, this one is more like the ones from the North of the country). I like this version because the ingredients are easy to find in most countries, but the taste is really 100% Asian!



nam prik




Ingredients:
1 or 2 fresh green chilies,
1 or 2 fresh red chilies,
1 eggplant (possibly white, but I tend to use the purple ones which are easier to find)
2 garlic cloves (peeled),
1 shallot (peeled) ,
1 or 2 tomatoes,
2 tbsp lemon juice,
2 tbsp light soy sauce,
half tsp salt
(In Thailand they also put in a littles sugar, but I don't)

Wrap the chilies, eggplant (cut into four) garlic shallot and tomatoes in a sheet of tin foil. Seal well and bake at 175°C for 30 minutes. Remove the content and place:

1) in a large mortar, and start pounding with the pestle adding the lemon juice, soy sauce and salt. this way you will get a a chuncky sauce with lots of skins but lovely and spicy.
or
2) in a blender, for a smoother texture.

Now, in the original recipe they don't remove the skins from the vegetables, but I do, and also I add less chilies (max 2). If you like to add sugar the dose is 1 tsp.

The colour is not great (brown), but the taste is truly addictive! Serve as a dip for raw vegetables sticks or to accompany rice and other Thai dishes.


Photos and Recipes by Alessandra Zecchini ©


3 comments:

  1. I think even I could like eggplants done like that:) Sounds delicious Alessandra.
    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! :-) And simple!

    Blessings, Debra
    Raw Vegan Diet

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great! I'll have to try this. I've been wanting to make a dip using eggplant. I think this will be the one that I try first. :o)

    ReplyDelete