Friday, January 14, 2011

Tomato Gari






A friend from a culinary forum told me that there is a new rage in Japan and it is tomato gari: a slice of tomato topped with some gari (thin slices of Japanese pickled ginger - the ones you eat with sushi) and salt. Well, I had to try it! I wasn't sure how it is supposed to look like, so the composition is my 'invention', and I used some Maldon salt (in flakes). And then I tasted it.

A M A Z I N G ! ! !

A real hit to the taste buds...but...I wanted a second...wow, still surprising...and then a third...and I was tired.

Yes, I will make it again, for some posh Japanese dinner maybe, I will serve ONE single slice per person, maybe between courses, or as a starter to wake up the taste buds. But no more. With one I think that people will remain wanting more...and they will remember it in their 'culinary memory bank' like something unique. More than that, and I feel it may be too much.

Photos and Recipes by Alessandra Zecchini ©




2 comments:

  1. I think you are so right that one slice would be perfect to serve at a dinner. What a nice biteful of delight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple, fresh and wonderful! That sounds great! Never heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete