Sunday, January 16, 2011

purple-green bean salad with balsamic red onion





from my garden



I have yellow and purple beans in my garden. The purple beans are beautiful, but unfortunately they loose their colour while cooking. I tried to add salt and a pinch of baking soda to the water...nothing, the purple colour just washes away....but they do become an incredible brilliant green!!!



To remember that they were purple, I decided to serve them with a red onion, (from my garden), and this is my recipe:

Cut the red onion into thin slices, put into a bowl with a pinch of salt and a teaspoon ofAceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena (ABTM). Let the onion marinate for at least two hours.

Wash and top and tail the purple beans, boil them in plenty of water with a pinch of salt and a pinch of baking soda. I like to leave them a little crunchy, but you can cook them to your taste. Drain the beans and rinse them under cold water, then dress them with a little extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt. Place them in a glass and top them with some balsamic onions.

Serve.



Photos and Recipes by Alessandra Zecchini ©




2 comments:

  1. Do you have a huge garden? I would love to see pics of the whole thing :) Can you eat the purple beans raw? That would keep the color right :) How about lemon juice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why they loose their color? I'm with Carissa, you should take some pictures of you entire garden. :o)

    ReplyDelete