Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Vegan Thai Salad Rolls with Dipping Sauces






This is Vegan, gluten free, fat free, light, and yet fully balanced and filling (or at least, it is for me :-)). Best consumed with beer, or with a glass of chilled white wine.




Vegan Thai Salad Rolls


On Saturday I went to the Oratia Farmers Market and bought some smoked salt and garlic. The smoked salt is really nice and mixed with a few spices and herbs, so I thought of using it to marinate some organic tofu to put inside my Thai salad rolls.





I cut the tofu into thin strips and then I sprinkled the salt on. After 30 minutes I turned the tofu slices over and sprinkled the smoked salt on the other side too. After other 30 minutes I lightly fried the tofu slices with rice bran oil. I put it on some kitchen paper to remove the excess oil, and set aside.





I used Thai rice paper wrap, which are gluten free. You need to soak the rice papers for a few minutes in warm water (five at the time) and then place them flat on a dried tea towel.



For the filling I also used some Thai chillies in brine, but not in all of the rolls, for others I used leaves of Vietnamese mint, but you can also use Thai basil and Thai mint. Then I used thin slices of carrots, chives, bean sprouts, and of course the tofu (each slice broken into two pieces for easy rolling).
You can also use shredded lettuce, and any other vegetable cut into Julienne strips.




Place the tofu and vegetable on the rice paper. Keep the decorative leaves/chillies a little to one side so that when you roll up your rolls they will be more visible.




Roll the rice paper, folding the sides in as you go, to seal the roll. The wet rice paper is sticky so it will seal well!



Herbs and chillies makes nice decorative motifs, and they are edible too. Make the most of them!

Place your rolls on serving plates, 5 or 6 per child (don't overdo it with the chillies for young kids)
and 7 or 8 per adult.




To serve I used three sauces: soy sauce, Thai sweet chilli sauce, and miso sauce (just a little miso paste diluted with hot water). Each sauce makes the rolls taste quite different!


My little boy loves Thai sweet chilli sauce, so he just had his own little dipping dish. Eat with fingers!


Photos and Recipes by Alessandra Zecchini ©




3 comments:

  1. Thai spring rolls are one of my favorite foods ever. I usually eat them with spicy peanut sauce, but any sauce will do. Yours turned out so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what VF said. I think those could be safely air-mailed to the States.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh snap! I just made spring rolls and posted about them too! It must be catching :)

    ReplyDelete