Saturday, March 12, 2011

Pistachio pesto








I decided to try to make pesto with pistachio nuts (usually it is made with pine nuts): in a mortar I put a little garlic (peeled), some pistachio nuts (also peeled), and some leaves of Genovese basil (Genovese basil is the one with very small leaves). I worked the pesto with a pestle and added more leaves little by little, and at the end a little salt and olive oil. You need patience with a mortar and pestle, but the results are great. Also, basil should never be cut with a metal blade (knife or blender), don't ask me why, but the flavour changes!!!

Use to dress pasta or potatoes, to top pizza, and on your favourite grilled vegetables.


 Photos and Recipes by Alessandra Zecchini ©



3 comments:

  1. Wow, you're the first one I've heard to say not to use a metal blade, interesting. I've got carpal tunnel, so I'm wondering how long it would take to manually make pesto as you did? Pistachio pesto sounds amaaaazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every Italian will tell you not to use a knife with basil, at least with the home made one. Even when putting basil in pasta sauces you should break it with your fingers and not cut it with a knife. Of course if you are making 'industrial' quantities of pesto it may be a different matter, but a mortar and pestle is quite efficient, it takes me a long time because I have a small mortar and need to add the ingredients little by little. The kids can do it :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with blessemama....this does sound amazing! I would have never thought to use pistachios for pesto.
    Interesting about not using a metal blade with the basil. I will have to remember this! Thanks for the info! :o)

    ReplyDelete