Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Cauliflower and Borage Curry



This turned out to be a fantastic vegan curry, and quite innovative too: I have never seen a curry made with borage!!!






Borage is a beautiful plant to have in the garden, loved by the bees and with pretty blue flowers. It is also versatile: you can eat the flowers, the stems and the leaves. It is prickly, but that goes away with cooking. If you don't have a garden sometimes you can find borage growing wild in meadows, and forage it.




The only thing to remember is to discard the pods with the seeds that have already formed (they are too hard), like the one in the photo below. Flowers and flower buds are soft, and can be cooked.




Sizzle one tsp of fenugreek seeds and one green chili with one tbsp of vegetable oil.


Add one small tsp each of turmeric, ground coriander, ground fennel and paprika, and also a good pinch of salt.


Add one onion, chopped, and sizzle for two minutes, and then add half cauliflower, cut into florettes. Coat the cauliflower well with the spices.


Add one can of coconut milk, and then one can of water (to rinse the coconut milk can). Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.


Add the borage, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.


Add one tsp of masala powder and simmer for other five minutes, or until all the vegetables are soft. At the end decorate with fresh borage flowers.



Photos and Recipes by Alessandra Zecchini ©

5 comments:

  1. I second that about borage curry being very original. What a great idea. I have some in my garden...I love the flowers, but was wondering whether the rest was edible/good....very cool. The curry sounds great, I'm going to have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of borage. Thanks for the new information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I can forage for borage;-) I will keep an eye out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How Cool to use Borage in cooking!!
    I only have used the oil, long ago, for girly stuff.

    ReplyDelete