Sunday, March 9, 2014

Saffron Quinotto


In Lima I heard a lot about quinotto, quinoa cooked like risotto. Many of my Italian blogger friends also  make it, and I though of trying, starting with a classic saffron style 'quinotto'.

I chopped one onion and cooked it with a little olive oil, then I added 450 g of quinoa. Once the quinoa was 'toasted' and 'greasy' with oil, I added one glass of white wine, and then, ladle by ladle, slowly slowly, and stirring often, one litre of vegetable stock. I added the saffron just at the end, when the quinotto was cooked.

How was it? Well, I liked it very much, my son liked it too, but my husband and daughter weren't so sure... they ate it, but are they are not going to beg me to make it again, they prefer risotto with rice :-).

And did you ever try to make quinotto?





Photos and Recipes by Alessandra Zecchini ©

1 comment:

  1. Looking at your title, I wondered if it was going to be quinoa risotto, and I was right! I think my family's opinion would be very much like yours: mixed. They like tradition and are not a fan of me trying out new things. I would think the quinoa would make for a faster risotto than the rice, is that so?

    ReplyDelete