Sunday, February 20, 2011

Peach Smoothie




From my garden

I have a peach tree, grown from a discarded seed in the bush. Actually, there are two, but one is quite deep in the forest, while the other was struggling in the border of the open garden, battling for space. We don't cut native trees in the Waitakere ranges, this is a protected area, and I wouldn't do it anyway, so no chances of me clearing the space around the poor fruit tree! But it was close enough for me to train it to grow sideways out of the forest and into an open space, over the little Japanese garden I built. In fact it looks quite like a gigantic bonsai now, and in spring the flowers really suit the Japanese garden.

For many years I only had a handful of peaches, but finally this summer the tree was full!




The peaches are smaller than the ones I can find in shops, but they taste great, and they are mine!! What a satisfaction! Thank you lovely tree! A part from eating them by themselves I am making smoothies, like this one, with peaches, banana and apple juice from the local orchard. Blend together and decorate with borage flowers.


Photos and Recipes by Alessandra Zecchini ©




2 comments:

  1. How lovely to have fresh peaches! I love those smoothies and especially the purple flower in them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool that you were able to train the tree to grow outside of the forest like that. Your smoothies are beautiful...I love peach smoothies!

    ReplyDelete